Updated: Aug 22, 2021
Samuel E. Pond was born on June 6, 1809 in Wrentham, Massachusetts. He married Vina Morse Everett on May 31, 1835 in Dedham. Vina’s parents were Ebenezer Everett, Jr. (1766-1842) and Sarah Morse Everett (1772-1828), who are also interred in Old Parish Cemetery (lot 94).
Samuel and Vina Pond had three children: Maria (1836-1891), Samuel Jr. (1839-1889), and Edward Everett (1851-1900). Samuel Jr. became a carpenter; Edward worked at the tannery.
Samuel Pond was a well-known and successful farmer. He purchased the old Everett house which stood near what is today Saunders Road (and the Sunrise Assisted Living facility). A well-respected member of the community, Pond represented South Dedham on the Dedham Board of Selectmen prior to Norwood’s independence. (Win Everett contends it was a distracted Sam Pond who allowed the South Dedham fire bell to be rung on July 4, 1868, against the wishes of the Dedham board.)
When the Town of Norwood was incorporated, Pond became one of the town’s first three selectmen along with Willard Gay and J. Edward Everett. (Pond was chairman of the board, Everett was the clerk.) He continued on the Select Board until his death on September 13, 1877 at the age of 68. Pond’s wife, Vina, had died earlier that same year on May 17.
Elliot Street, which extends from Walpole Street to Nichols Street, was named after Samuel Elliot Pond.