Elizabeth A. & George B. Talbot; Deep Norwood Roots
Elizabeth A. (Dickey) Talbot (1830-1907)
George B. Talbot (1820-1898)
Elizabeth A. Dickey was the second wife of George Butler Talbot. They married on February 1, 1866, a few years after George’s first wife, Caroline (Robertson) Talbot had died in 1864. George and Elizabeth had one child, Arthur W. Talbot, born in 1868.
In 1863, George B. Talbot, along with Joseph Day and Lyman Smith, formed a committee to sell the original Universalist Society building and erect a new meeting house at the corner of Washington and Nahatan Streets. In 1871, Talbot was among the first to sign a petition to form a new town and deliver it to the Legislative Committee on Towns at the State House in Boston. A respected citizen of the new town of Norwood, Talbot died on January 26, 1898.
When Elizabeth Talbot died on May 16, 1907 of old age with a contributing cause of chronic bronchitis, a lengthy obituary appeared in the Norwood Messenger. Elizabeth Dickey had been a native of Francestown, N.H. and came to South Dedham shortly after
the Civil War when she married George Talbot. Their first home was on Guild Street but the family later moved to the Talbot farm on Neponset Street. After her husband, George, died, Elizabeth and their son, Arthur, moved back to the house on Guild.
Mrs. Talbot was popular with her neighbors and especially with the children attending the nearby Guild School. According to the Messenger, “she gained the respect and good will of the children and kept it. She was of an amiable, kindly disposition and was a good woman in every way.”
About eighteen months before her death, Talbot was afflicted with bronchitis following pneumonia and remained confined to her house for the remainder of her life. She was, again according to the newspaper, “a patient and cheerful sufferer during her long illness, and was cheered by the visits of friends and the faithful devotion of her son.”
Elizabeth Dickey Talbot was the last of her family of eight siblings and was survived only by her son, Arthur W. Talbot, “a well-known and much respected Norwood resident.”
She was interred in the Talbot plot at Old Parish Cemetery along with her husband, his first wife, Caroline, and their daughter, Ella Talbot Ferrin. Only two years prior to her own death, Elizabeth Talbot had held the funeral of her stepdaughter, Ella, at her home on Guild Street.