Nancy Maria Chamberlain Page c. 1839-1924 John B. Page c. 1812-1890
Updated: Apr 28
Born in South Dedham, Nancy Maria Chamberlain was educated by J. Nelson Stevens in South Dedham and attended a private school in Lawrence, Massachusetts. She was a school teacher in the Everett School from 1855-1856. The Everett School replaced the Old North District School in South Dedham. It was near what is today’s post office. Built on land owned by Deacon Willard Everett, it was named and dedicated in 1851 in honor of Israel Everett, a Dedham soldier who fought in the Revolutionary War.
Nancy made a home for her father and brother until her marriage to John B. Page of Washington Street on February 2, 1875 when she became mistress of the Old Page Farm. She cared for her husband and his father for some 20 years and was devoted to her home. After her husband’s death, she continued to live in their home at 397 Washington Street, eventually renting out rooms to boarders.
At about midnight on the night of January 11, 1924, Mrs. Page’s boarder heard screams for help. When she ran to Mrs. Page’s rooms, she discovered her enveloped in flames. Despite the assistance of some people passing by who heard the commotion and the immediate response of fire personnel, Mrs. Page was pronounced dead at the scene. It was believed that she was sitting up late reading – as was her custom – and she somehow tipped over a lamp, causing her clothing to ignite. Dr. Field and the Medical Examiner gave the cause of death as an accidental burning.
What remained of the farm continued to be called Page’s Field.
Nancy Page and her husband, John, are buried in Old Parish Cemetery in the Page family plot along with John’s parents, Elizabeth Farrington Page (1801-1868) and Joseph Page (1797-1882).