James Engles (1827-1887)
Susan Hutchins Engles (1826-1874)
M. Estelle Engles (1853-1880)
Carrie Engles (1861-1893)
James Engles did not live in Norwood for very long, but he was remembered by historian Francis Tinker as a constable and truant officer during the early years after the town’s incorporation. A tinsmith and sheet iron worker by trade, Engles came originally from Provincetown. But, he and his wife Susan Hutchins Engles, whom he married on November 27, 1851, and their children, were living in South Dedham in 1870.
From 1872 through 1877, Engles was paid by the town for repair work to furnaces, wells, oil burners, pipes, and lanterns. For example, sometime during 1874, he repaired the stove for the library for $46.05. In addition, in 1872 and 1876, Engles was paid for his services as constable and truant officer. By 1880, he had returned to Provincetown where he died on October 18, 1887 due to water about the heart.
On February 5, 1874, while the family was residing in Norwood, Engles’ wife, Susan, died of a stomach disease. She was interred in Old Parish Cemetery as was their daughter, Marie Estelle, who died of Bright’s disease on August 3, 1880.
Although James Engles had married a second time, to Louisa A. McKinnon, in 1885, when he died, his body was brought to Norwood and interred with his first wife, Susan. When their daughter Carrie succumbed to pulmonary disease on January 8, 1893, she too was interred in Old Parish with her parents and sister.
In the Annual Report of 1929, Norwood’s cemetery department reported vandalism in Old Parish Cemetery. Among the stones knocked over were those belonging to the Engles family.