Bailey Family, 19th, 20th & 21st Century Roots in Norwood
Updated: Jan 21, 2022
Charles Bailey (1823-1903) and Family
Charles V. Bailey was born in Maine on December 18, 1823. A carpet printer, Bailey married Julia Ann Litchfield, also from Maine. By 1870, Charles and Julia, along with their children, Albert (20), Frank (16), Oscar (15) and Fred (7) were living in South Dedham. Julia Ann Bailey died on October 20, 1871; her death was caused by lockjaw. She was interred in Old Parish Cemetery.
Two years later, on August 23, 1873, Charles Bailey, 48, married a second time to Mary Elizabeth Burke Trask, then 35. The marriage took place in Dedham. By 1888, the family was living on Nahatan Street. Charles and Mary had a son, George, who was born in November, 1878 and died in April of 1899. Charles Bailey died in 1903 and Mary in 1926. Both were interred in the family lot in Old Parish Cemetery, along with their son.
Frank Bailey family homes on Hill St and Walnut Ave. as they appear in 2020.
Frank Bailey (1853-1921), the son of Charles and Julia, was a moulder in an iron foundry. At various times he lived on Hill Street, Nahatan Street, and in 1918 at 97 Walnut Avenue. Frank died in July of 1921. He is interred in the family plot along with his wife, Lizzie, who lived until the age of 88 and died in May, 1947. Beside them is their son, Edward, who survived only one year; he was born in January, 1883 and died in May of 1884.
In 1896, the Norwood Advertiser and Review reported that Fred Bailey (1861-1896), the son of Charles Bailey of Nahatan Street had died on Wednesday, January 8, 1896, in his home on Washington Street after an illness of three weeks. One source reported the cause as pneumonia, another attributed his death to typhoid fever. He was 35 years old. Fred was an oil cloth printer and was employed in the carpenter’s shop at the railroad Car Shops. He was very popular among his fellow employees and “was mourned by a large circle of friends.” He was buried in his father’s lot in the Old Cemetery.