Lewis G. Stone1835-1907
Updated: Oct 18
Born in Winthrop, Maine, 17 August 1835, Lewis G. Stone (1835-1907) worked on his grandfather’s farm as a boy. He came to the Boston area as a young man and trained as a machinist. When the Civil War broke out, he enlisted in Company K of the 32nd Massachusetts Volunteer Regiment in August of 1862 and fought with the Army of the Potomac. He was discharged with a disability in December, 1862, in Philadelphia.
Following the war, Stone worked at the Railroad Car Shops. He and his first wife, Mary Lewis Fairbanks Stone, and their son, George L. Stone, born in 1862, lived with his mother-in-law Priscilla Cushman Fairbanks, who ran a boardinghouse in South Dedham. Mary Fairbanks Stone died in 1881 and was buried in Old Parish Cemetery in Norwood. Lewis Stone remarried in 1882; Lewis and Frances Stone had one daughter.
After living in Norwood for a number of years, Stone moved his family to 118 Beech Street, Roslindale. He left the car shops and, for some years, worked as a foreman in the shops at the Charlestown state prison. Eventually, he took a position at the Registry of Deeds where he was a highly regarded employee for some 12 years. Due to his war injury, Stone received an invalid pension beginning in 1889. He was a well-known member and secretary of the Abraham Lincoln Post 11 Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) in Charlestown. In addition, he was a popular member of the Bunker Hill Lodge 22 of the International Order of Odd Fellows in Charlestown for which he served as chaplain, and of the Abenakis Tribe 46, I.O.R.M. of East Boston.
At 5:00 pm on Monday, September 16, 1907, Lewis Stone was run over and killed in Dewey Square by Boston Fire Engine 39 responding to what turned out to be a false alarm. His family heard about the accident and, concerned that Stone had not returned home from work, his son-in-law, Frederick Newcombe went to the morgue where he made the identification at 2:00 am.
He left a widow, daughter, and son-in-law. Stone’s service took place at his daughter’s residence, and burial was at Old Parish Cemetery in Norwood alongside his first wife, Mary, and their son, George Lewis Stone, who had died in 1899. Lewis G. Stone’s widow, Frances, who died in 1914, is buried in the family plot as well.